Staff are diligent at student supervision from their arrival at school in the morning until they leave at 4.00 p.m. Breakfast club, break time, lunch time and home time are all monitored closely by staff members.
Evening study is available to both Junior Cycle and Senior Cycle students each evening Monday to Thursday from 4.15 p. m. to 5.15 p.m. It is supervised by teachers from the school who are active in providing help and guidance to students with their homework.
We are fortunate enough to be able to provide students with a healthy canteen option through our participation in the DEIS programme funded by the DSFA. All school meals are heavily subsidised and designed to cater the needs of our students.
- Breakfast Club: every morning between 8.15 a.m. and 8.45 a.m. students can avail of a breakfast free of charge. Students can choose from the list below:
- Cereal and milk
- Tea and toast
- Orange Juice
- Break time: A selection of rolls, sandwiches and wraps, hot and cold, combined with soup are available from the canteen at break time. Students can avail of a bottle of water, a piece of fruit and a wrap/roll for €2.
- Lunch Time: Students can again avail of a wrap, roll or sandwich at lunch time. Also on offer are salad plates and hot dinners. Dinners range from the following offers:
- Chicken curry and rice
- Mashed potato, vegetable and meat
- Lasagna and mashed potato
- After School: Food is made available for students participating in evening study and after school sports. At 4p students can opt to have:
- A toasted sandwich
- Piece of fruit
Book Rental Scheme
The school operates a Book Rental scheme for all students whereby, for a nominal sum (currently €100 per annum), text books are provided on loan to students. This scheme is beneficial in saving for parents / guardians as school books are an ever increasing cost. This scheme also covers the rental of a school locker, photocopying, 24 hour insurance cover and other miscellaneous expenses.
In Kilkenny City Vocational School our extra-curricular activities form an important part of school life. Each student is encouraged to participate as each activity offers opportunities for development and personal achievement. Extra-curricular activities also play an important part in encouraging a sense of community and pride in our school. The activities offered are dependent on interest from the students, and we strongly encourage any student with an interest in a new extra-curricular activity to bring this to our attention. Currently the following extra-curricular activities are active in KCVS:
- Students are part of the Green Schools initiative and are working towards their fourth Green flag. The Green Schools Committee promotes environmental awareness.
- School trips and tours are a regular feature of school life.
- Students fundraise for various charities local and national-ChildLine, Trick or Treat for Temple Treat, Trocaire, Shave or Dye and Shoe Box Appeal to name but a few.
- Sporting activities such as soccer, hurling, camogie, basketball and handball.
- Students are encouraged to partake in various competitions throughout the school year. These include Art, Savour Kilkenny, Junk Kouture, Young Irish Film Makers, Young Scientist’s Exhibition and Business Enterprise.
- Choir and Musical groups